Natural Hair Journey Ciatta Jones
- WHY DID YOU DECIDE TO GO NATURAL?
Honestly, i just came to a point where I was tired relaxing my hair. But knowing the hair texture I have, I wasn’t sure I could go natural this long. For about a year after I last relax my hair, I went to the salon every two weeks to have it straighten……just to keep it manageable but mostly because I didn’t know what to do with it.
- HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN NATURAL?
I’ve been natural since September 2010
- IS YOUR HAIR HEALTHIER SINCE YOU’VE BEEN NATURAL?
Yes. Not having to put harsh chemicals in my hair has been a plus.
- WHAT IS YOUR HAIR REGIMEN LIKE?
I really don’t have a strict hair regimen. I try to wash my hair every 2 1/2 weeks ( no specific method). I use whatever shampoo and conditioner I have. I use the apple cider vinegar mix for the first time two weeks ago. Most times when I wash my hair I use my famous avocado, honey, olive oil and sometimes egg mix. After I wash my hair, I moisturize it with oils or shea butter and do a twist out or let it dry and pull it up.
- WHAT ARE SOME OF THE CHALLENGES YOU FACE WITH YOUR HAIR?
My biggest challenge is is doing my twist out as often as I would love to since I love the outcome, but my hair is so thick I dread doing a twist. Most times I wear my hair in a puff.
- DO YOU HAVE A LENGTH GOAL?
No I really don’t have a length goal.
- DO YOU PAY ATTENTION TO PRODUCTS INGREDIENTS WHEN PURCHASING? IF YES WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR?
I’ve heard a lot of natural sistas saying I need to pay attention to the ingredients I put in my hair, but I really don’t. It’s probably because I haven’t had any issues with the products I’ve used.
- WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU USE AT THE MOMENT?
At the moment Cantu Shea Butter, Shea Moisture and Eco Styler are my go to products. When I started my natural journey I would buy every product that someone else said was good; not anymore.
- HOW OFTEN DO YOU VISIT A SALON?
I don’t go very often. The last time I went to the salon was three or four months ago when I did a trim but it has grown again.
- WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE TO SOMEONE WHO IS NOT CONFIDENT ABOUT THEIR NATURAL HAIR?
Base on my own experience, I will say be patient and get to understand your hair. I think a lot of people don’t realize not everyone have the same type of hair. Once you understand what works for you, you’ll have an easy natural journey.